Monday, August 9, 2010

The Recruiter


I went to visit the recruiter today. It was mainly to check in and get started on any paperwork that needs to be processed before I go to MEPS. She gave me a security questionnaire. She verified that she got 2 of the college transcripts I had mailed her way and turns out I need 1 more college transcript and my high school transcript, too. That's one I've never had to get. I did some internet research and it turns out that stuff is stored and maintained by the county/parish school board. I did some more digging and found a form I can fill in and mail to get my high school transcript to my recruiter. I suspect I got one when I graduated, but I looked thoroughly through the papers the high school gave me and it's not in there. I have one from the 11th grade, but not a complete one.

When I was waiting to talk to my recruiter, she was talking to someone else and mentioned a GPA requirement for nukes. I asked her about it later and she said there wasn't one, but I'd need a waiver for any math or science classes I had failed, which I have, so that's 2 waivers now. Also, did I tell you I ordered a copy of my complete driving history? Well, I did. :) But it came in the mail and only had 1 speeding ticket on it. I know for a fact I've had more than 1. I don't know what to make of that. Does that mean that I don't need a waiver because only one is still in the system? My recruiter didn't think so. She said they will fingerprint me at MEPS and go by whatever comes up there. I'd really not have to go to MEPS twice. This is the whole reason I'm already asking about this stuff. Whatever. If I have to go to MEPS twice to join the Navy, I'll do it. Bureaucracy. Woohoo.

I took my birth certificate and my social security card with me to the recruiter's office today. Turns out that was a good move, cause she made copies. I got my birth certificate when I applied for my passport. I contacted the people at the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics. It was really easy. I just printed the form, filled it in, and mailed it. Then they mailed me the document.

Anyway, now I have to lose the last 10 pounds, finish the security questionnaire, get the high school transcript, and the last college transcript, and then head back to the recruiter to set a date to go to MEPS.

I hope I get a job soon. I hate being out in the wind and not having a steady income, one reason I'm joining the Navy. I figure if I don't have one in another week or two then I'll cast a wider net. That means I'll go apply at some of those dreaded retail places of which I worked so hard to get out. Urgh. I hope I don't have to do that. I don't like some crazy soccer mom yelling at me because her precious bottle of Gatorade fell over. Dammit lady. If it's that big of a deal to you, I'll wrap it in bubble wrap and gift wrap it! I also had some old lady try to tip me once. I worked at a grocery store that wouldn't allow us to take tips. Me? I'm the kind of person who wouldn't take tips under the table. That lady chased me around in circles trying to put a $5 bill in my back pocket. Even if I could take tips, I wouldn't want some strange old lady's hand that close to my butt.

Goals for the next 2 weeks:
Lose 10 pounds
Get last College Transcript
Get High School Transcript
Fill in Security Questionnaire
Study for ASVAB
GET A JOB

50/60

No comments:

Post a Comment